Sunday, May 6, 2012

Far and Away


Have you ever seen the epic romance/ destiny/ drama Far and Away? It's one of my faves- timeless, passionate, and full of dreams. I think my favorite scene in the movie is at the end (spoiler alert?) when Tom Cruise puts his flag in the earth and claims it as his own in the actually historical "Land Run of 1893". Since seeing this movie as a kid, I've always identified with that dream and said I imagine doing the same thing one day- to own land, to have my own little slice of the pie in America. It seems that owning a house is apparently a very American thing, I remember a professor telling me that renting is much more accepted in Europe, whereas here it really is the American Dream to own a house, isn't it?

I think it means more to me because my parents never bought a house. Which, by the way, I completely understand. But I think not experiencing that has made me want it more, something to hand down, to fix up, to stay put. Anyway, it makes sense that I'd be thinking about this given the "nesting" instinct that is currently occurring in my head. AND, this month happens to mark the 20th year since this beloved movie came out. So, if you haven't seen it, set aside a few hours on a lovely Sunday like today and prepare to get swept away!

What are your favorite movies? I also love Little Miss Sunshine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment