Thursday, November 15, 2012

Do you journal?


Lately I've found that writing does wonders for me when I'm feeling anxious. Keeping a 'journal' has always been one of those things that I do once every 5 months and wish I did more. But since I realized that it helps me feel better if I'm ever feeling overwhelmed or out of sorts, I definitely do it more often, as more of a coping method than a record keeper.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing when I'm not particularly anxious. But I think it's easier to pick up the pen when there's that purpose to it. However, I'd like to make writing a priority now that James is here, documenting his growth and how our lives are changing seems important.

I think that's why I created this blog. Although it's not a journal, it's a way to document the day-to-day, what I'm thinking and experiencing, and James' happenings too. The difference is, here I'm sharing it all with you. :) I remember being inspired to FINALLY start the blog after finding out I was pregnant. I was talking about it for months, and it just took this little guy in my belly to get it rolling. Thanks, James.

So what about you? Is journaling a lost art? Or do you pick up a pen and record your inner most thoughts? Do you do it to keep record of your life or as more of a therapeutic process? Have you ever found an old journal and read through it? Isn't that the best!?

2 comments:

  1. I have definitely done the same thing; buying a brand new notebook and convinced myself that I'm going to keep tabs on myself for fun or otherwise. I don't know why I don't do it more often or why I lose that passion so easily. It is definitely a form of therapy for me. Most of the time I like finding an old "journal" and reading it, but then there are times when I've discovered just how anxious I was and it brings me back to that complex feeling that I tried to exorcise by writing. But overall, it's extremely positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Micah. Reading some of those old, upsetting feelings can be hard- I try to realize how far I've come since then if those feelings are a bit more foreign to me now. I wonder how often writing turns into song writing for you?

    ReplyDelete