Sunday, August 24, 2014

What I do without cable:

I buy more books than I probably should:



In this case, polar opposite type books. I used to have a goal of reading all the classics (i.e., Invisible Man) that I never read growing up. Although I was always a good student, I was never much of a reader as a kid, so I had lots of catching up to do. So, in college I read things like The Fountainhead (loved it) and Anna Karenina (never finished it) for "fun".

But in recent years, I've been more into fiction and books that require less thinking. I suppose this genre change has been partially in response to all of the stressors I deal with in my life as a social worker. When I'm reading fiction now, I often want to wind down, not get stirred up. So when I bought Invisible Man yesterday, I figured I should temper it with something that might make me laugh a bit. And so far, Mindy Kaling does not disappoint. I recommend it already!

What are you reading lately? I also bought James this book since it features a little boy named Sam who likes to dance.. just like his dancing Uncle Sam! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment