Thursday, January 10, 2013

Inspiration

I'm very excited to share a guest post today from someone with a very inspirational story.


Heather Von St. James contacted me recently to share her story and increase awareness about mesothelioma, a cancer that she was diagnosed with shortly after giving birth to her baby girl. Her story hit very close to home since recently learning that my best friend, Kim, is fighting her own battle with cancer while pregnant with her first baby girl as well. Two very important things that these two women have in common other than cancer: beautiful spirits and a desire to help others through sharing their experience.

I can only imagine how terrifying Heather's situation would be- but Heather is an example of how to overcome it, and she is sharing her story to help prevent others from being diagnosed with the awful cancer she was diagnosed with- because it is one hundred percent preventable. Take a moment to read her story and visit her website for more information on Mesothelioma:

Why I Embrace Each Moment of Life
by Heather Von St. James

On August 4, 2005, I was blessed by the entrance of my beautiful daughter, Lily, into the world. My husband and I couldn’t have been happier as family and friends surrounded us to celebrate, but life was soon to change.

Shortly after I returned to full-time work, my health headed downhill quickly. I was short of breath and easily exhausted, and I was losing five to seven pounds a week. Most people would probably attribute this to my body adjusting to being a new mother, and I did at first. After a while, though, I knew it was something more than that. I finally decided to visit the doctor. After a barrage of tests, my doctor gave us terrible news. I had malignant mesothelioma.

With no treatment, I had little hope of surviving to Lily’s second birthday. I couldn’t bear the thought of leaving my husband to raise Lily alone, and I couldn’t bare the thought of leaving Lily to grow up without a mother. He and I chose the most aggressive treatment option available. We flew to Boston where I was to have my left lung removed in an extreme procedure called an extrapleural pneumonectomy. Meanwhile, our daughter flew with my mother to my childhood home in South Dakota. She was going to live with my parents

During my time of recuperation in the hospital, people from my past surrounded Lily and my parents to support them. Girls I had babysat as a teenager now helped by watching my daughter while my parents worked. Lily grew and developed like any healthy baby, surrounded by all this love.

My mom sent pictures of Lily to my husband via email. He would then print them on a community printer and bring the grainy copies to me in my hospital room. There, my new support group of caregivers would gather around my bed and “ooh” and “ah” at the pictures of Lily rolling around or eating solid food. We all tried hard to choke back the tears. While I knew she was in the best care possible, I missed my little girl dearly. She was the reason I was fighting so hard.

Today, years after my fight with cancer, I realize how much good came from that time. My daughter still shares a strong bond with her grandparents that remains regardless of how many miles lie between them. I have learned to appreciate all the little blessings life brings, and my family tries our best never to take any moment together for granted. You never know when all this could be taken away. The best advice is to embrace each moment of life you are given.


(I can't get over her sweet little girl and her cool tattoo!)
Thanks Heather!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I admire people like Heather (and Kim) with such fighting spirit and I cannot imagine going through what they went/are going through. It is very important to cherish the things that matter and place less weight on and give less time to those that don't.

    ReplyDelete